August 23 – September 15, 2016
Call for entries:
South Mississippi Art Association members are invited to submit entries for a juried show featuring original art. Because of the limited hanging space at the Lucile Parker Gallery, only a limited number of submitted artwork will be juried into the show. There is no restriction on original art categories that may be entered.
Location: Lucile Parker Gallery – 512 Tuscan Avenue
Fees: No fees
AWARDS: There will be a $250 Best of Show Award for the single art work deemed best of show by the juror. There will also be a First, Second, and Third Place Ribbon and Honorable Mention, but no cash awards.
Sales: If artwork is for sale, William Cary University (WCU) will assist buyers purchasing the artwork. A 15% commission is required by WCU for sales made during the show. Mississippi sales tax is the responsibility of the artist (but can be paid through SMAA). Make sure art work is priced with commission and sales tax in mind. Not-for-sale works are accepted but not encouraged.
JURIST: To be determined
- Entries must be high quality digital images. Each artwork must be a separate jpeg file (.jpg), at least 300 dpi resolution, and no larger than 2 MB. Identify each digital file so that it can be related to a specific artwork in the entry form. Entry form and digital files may be e-mailed directly to the show chair at email@example.com OR mail CDs with entries to Georgia Kay Carter, 25 Summer Place, Hattiesburg, MS 39402.
Note: One image per painting is sufficient; for 3-D art, 2 or 3 images may be provided.
- Entries, digital images and membership applications must be e-mailed or postmarked by Tuesday August 9, 2016*. Make sure entry sheet accompanies digital images and make sure you save a copy for your records.
- Artist must be a current SMAA member**.
- As a Baptist institution, WCU reserves the right to reject any artwork in conflict with the WCU mission statement or that is deemed inappropriate for their viewing audience.
- Only original art work is accepted (no prints); all work must be the original concept of the artist.
- Artwork must have been completed in 2014 or later. Artwork previously exhibited at WCU is not acceptable.
- Each artist may submit up to 3 pieces of artwork to be juried for the show.
- The entry form must be completely filled out. Submitting an entry implies consent to the use of images of the work in materials that promote the show and SMAA. Click here for the entry form.
*Post offices and substations post a last mail pick-up time; mail deposited after that time will be postmarked the next work day, so be aware of mail postmark timing.
** Eligibility is limited to SMAA members whose dues are current or new members whose dues are postmarked or submitted online by the show entry deadline. Membership dues may be submitted with entry to address above or paid via PayPal at the SMAA website, http://www.southmsart.org .
Confirmation and selection
You should receive a confirmation of receipt of your entry by August 12. If you do not receive confirmation by this date, contact Georgia Kay Carter [(601) 268-6303, 601-549-9438 cell, or firstname.lastname@example.org]. You should receive notification about selection by August 16.
ART ACCEPTED FOR SHOW
- All hanging artwork should be ready to hang with labels on the back of the artwork and must have picture wire for hanging; saw tooth hangers are not allowed. There will be stands for 3D artwork. 3-D pieces must weigh no more than 50 lb.
- Labels should have the name of the artist, the title of the work, and the medium used. A label form will be provided with notice of acceptance.
- Since this is a juried show and digital images are involved, receiving a complete and accurate entry and high quality images is critical. You will not be able to change artwork titles after entry is submitted.
- See calendar below for important dates and times.
- Accepted artwork must remain with the show through September 15, so consider this if you plan to enter the artwork in other art shows.
- Artwork will be released only to the artist or purchaser unless previous arrangements have been made with the Show Chair or at the check-in desk and written authorization provided.
WCU insures artwork while it is in the gallery. Insurance does not apply to packing and transportation of artwork.
|Tuesday, August 9
|Friday, August 12||
|Tuesday, August 16||
|Monday, August 22||
|Tuesday, August 23||
|August 23 – September 15||
|Monday, September 19||· Check out and remove artwork 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.|